The Cheap-o Way of Lining Blinds

Friday, July 20, 2012

Hi, everyone! First, I want to say THANK YOU for your responses to yesterday's post. I mean really, ya'll are awesome and encouraging and I am so happy to have gotten to know many of you through your kind words and sweet emails. This is the reason that blogging is pretty much the best thing ever. :)

Anywho, a few months ago, I mentioned that we lined our cheap-o bamboo blinds with some blackout fabric from JoAnn and many of you asked me how....so today, I'm showing you! Now, heed my warning--at the time we did this I wasn't planning to show a how-to, so you will have to bear with me.

To begin, let's take a trip down memory lane. I purchased these blinds from Overstock.com about 2 years ago. I got them for every window in the house, and I still love, love, LOVE them. They seriously changed the way our house looks. The only problem was that they weren't great for privacy because they weren't lined. I could have upgraded and gotten some more expensive lined bamboo blinds....but I'm too cheap :). So...when the time came to decorate the nursery and guest bedroom (the only rooms that have windows in the front of the house) I knew we had to figure out a solution to our no-privacy problem.




Enter this fabric from JoAnn Fabrics. It's a flame-resistant blackout fabric in Ecru. Originally $10.99 a yard, but we got on sale with a 40% off coupon.




We measured the blinds that needed to be lined beforehand so we knew how much black-out fabric to buy. Once we brought it home, we cut the fabric to fit the blinds (leaving about an 1/2 inch of exposed blind all the way around).



(I got lucky and found ONE picture of my mom lining the blinds back in January!) Score.

We bought some upholstery spray adhesive at JoAnn's (they have a ton of different brands), sprayed it on the blinds, and then placed the fabric on top. Make sure you have a drop cloth underneath the blinds just in case any of the adhesive tries to seep through. We smoothed out all of the wrinkles and then very quickly lined the edges with hot glue (that's right - hot glue).


After the blinds were dry (we waited 24 hours), we hung them back on the windows and held our breaths to see if they would actually fold up. It took some finagling--a lot at first--but after we guided the blinds to fold correctly a few times, they went up and down without a problem!






Now creepers can't spy on us! I'm happy to say that we accompished this for less than half the price of many of the pre-lined blinds I've seen on the market. AND they still work perfeclty six months later. Oh, happy day!


Have a wonderful, wonderful weekend, friends. :)


 
Follow on Bloglovin

18 comments:

  1. That's so smart!! And your nursery is beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your chair for the nursery! Can you please do a post on how you did that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! We actually got it professionally re-upholstered. I found it on Craigslist. I will have to do a before and after post though!

      Delete
  3. Oh I love! Thank you so much for the link to the bamboo shades! I have been wanting these for my new house, but was not going to spend the full price for them! YAY!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome, Tiffany! I love these shades--they are good quality!

      Delete
  4. Gosh Katy, your nursery is so pretty!!!!! No bamboo blinds in our house, but just had to say how pretty his room is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness, that you for sharing this! My husband and i just hung 6 bamboo shades and we are so leary about them being see through! This is definitely the next DIY project we will be doing to keep those creepers out :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I actually found this article whilst looking for information on other types of blinds however this is a really good walkthrough on how you can line blinds without having to spend a fortune. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Furthermore, Using the power on the internet in this period, progressively green cocktail dresses more British isles bridal gowns vendors generate their own matter on the planet extensive net.

    We offer wedding dresses, bridesmaid dresses, beach wedding dresses,my friends welcome to visit and see!
    wedding dresses

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have posted valuable things on your blog. I will also post the link of your blog on my website. I hope it will be useful for my visitors.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your post make my life look easy and colorful.Every post teach me some things. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  10. Some great advice here for the DIY enthusiast looking to improve their blinds. We get quite a few requests for things like this, will send your page in future. Explains things very well.

    Cheers

    Carl
    Abode Blinds UK

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anywho, a few months ago, I mentioned that we lined our cheap-o bamboo blinds with some blackout fabric from JoAnn and many of you asked ... bblackoutblinds.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Blackout Blinds-Blackout roller blinds made to measure are perfect for bedrooms or areas of house of office you need full privacy. Blackout roller blinds are available in a huge ...

    ReplyDelete
  13. A new design should be initiated for the interior looks of the house either its in lining form or other, nice post keep posting keep blogging.
    Blinds direct NZ

    ReplyDelete
  14. The shades look great they add so much warmth and texture to your rooms. How fun to decorate your new home.I love how these look and I am trying to copy this same look in my new house.
    houston blinds

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's a nice information about roller blinds Oldham.Nice blog ....we will wait for your upcoming post.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thank you!

I try to respond to all questions directly in the comment section, so be sure to check back if you ask anything.