Today I thought I would share one of our family's favorite cakes: The Honey Bun Cake. This is Bryan's all-time favorite cake that his mom always made when he was growing up, and since I recently acquired the recipe and have been making it non-stop, it seemed like a good opportunity to post it on the blog. AND it is super easy! Fail-proof, really.
-1 box yellow cake mix (I prefer Duncan Hines)
-1 cup sour cream
-3/4 cup vegetable oil
-3/4 cup brown sugar
-2 1/2 tsp cinnamon
-2 cups powdered sugar
-1 tsp vanilla
-4 tbsp milk
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.
2. In a large mixing bowl, mix the cake mix, eggs, oil, and sour cream until just mixed. (I just said mix a lot, haha.)
3. In a separate smaller bowl, mix the brown sugar and cinnamon.
4. Pour 1/2 of the cake batter into the greased backing dish and spread evenly. With a spoon, sprinkle 1/2 of the brown sugar mixture evenly over the top of the batter in the baking dish.
5. Pour the rest of the cake batter on top of the first two layers, spread evenly, and add the rest of the brown sugar mixture evenly over the top.
6. Bake for 40 minutes.
7. Meanwhile, mix the powdered sugar, vanilla, and milk in a medium bowl. Pour evenly over the top of the cake when it is done baking and has cooled for a bit. Enjoy with coffee or milk!
We eat this in about a day or two. It is addicting!
Have a wonderful Monday!