Our Week and a Muffin Recipe

Monday, September 22, 2014

Guys! It has been a crazy week! I actually can't really think of specific events because everything is completely muddled in my brain, and I'm just flat out exhausted.

Most house work this past week went into the nursery. I almost lost my mind last Monday and Tuesday because construction dust all over my house is pretty much pure hell in my book. I was also getting extremely impatient and took it upon my pregnant self to spray the entire board and batten treatment by myself. (Mask, of course.) My back has been cursing me for that ever since. My mother-in-law came over, brought us dinner, and helped paint all the nooks and crannies (awful) and Bryan of course worked his booty off and re-painted the crib (pretty much the same color as before…nothing too exciting.)



Did I mention that Parker was sick during all of this? Yes. Fever, cough, runny nose. Poor kid! You would never know though, he was a happy camper for the most part.

We eventually got everything cleaned up, and I'm still searching for that last bit of motivation to finish the room. It has yet to appear, and my poor back is the probable culprit. Bryan seems to know this and is milking my laziness for all it's worth. He is currently napping.

Oh! I did go to a girls night with a few of my favorite friends last Monday night. We went to Capitol Pizza which is a GREAT Lubbock spot if you ever need a new place to eat! We always love that place, but it is usually swamped with Tech students so we tend to make it a special occasion when we go. Anyways, it was great to have a baby free night AND my friend Alli (who is also pregnant) announced that she is having a GIRL with these cute little scratch cards.


I know. Such a great idea.

We made another round to the OB, as I have officially started going every week because I have reached the Huge Level of pregnancy. My doula joined us and so did Parker, which was a first. I loved getting to see my OB and doula talk together (they work together a lot), but it did get me worried that I'm not as prepared for this un-medicated thing this time around. I haven't even read any of my books! Need to get on that. Soon.

We celebrated Al's birthday (my FIL) on Wednesday night with some brisket and a delicious banana pudding cake that my sister-in-law made. I spent most of the night sitting in a chair, because as I've said before, this huge pregnancy/lazy thing has kicked in full force.



Parker made it through his school drop-off without ANY tears on Thursday (!) and we went to a team dinner for Bryan's golf girls Thursday night. P was less than impressed with all of the attention that the girls gave him. My MIL came over again and (bless her) cleaned out my fridge and vacuumed and mopped my floors, among other things that I didn't notice, I am sure. I caught up on laundry, vacuumed, and threw out ALL of the old stuff in our freezers. So depressing.

Bryan's team had their first golf tournament this weekend, and placed 3rd overall. Pretty good! It's also been raining ALL week, which is seriously unheard of for Lubbock. It has been completely awesome and may have added to my lazy tendencies.

Friday night (whew), my sister-in-law and FUTURE brother-in-law got engaged! I got to take the sneaky photos of the actual proposal which made me feel super awkward but really cool! I love her ring. They are thinking of a June wedding. We celebrated with s'mores and tiramisu. Parker was un-interested in the whole experience. I will hopefully post more later!

Oh, also my poor mom got in a wreck on Wednesday and dislocated her elbow and possibly totaled her car. If you know my parents personally, you know that they have had a really rough year….and it doesn't seem to be going away completely. I know she would appreciate prayers. She is seriously my sanity saver on a daily basis and I hate when things like this happen. We also have terrible luck with cars in my family, so there's that too.

----------------------

I pooped out and went to bed so here I am on Monday afternoon. I have since had two sleepless nights (thank you, pregnancy), been to church and went to a sweet diaper shower that my wonderful friends threw for me! There was an absolute downpour of rain during the entire thing, but thankfully people still came and I had a great time catching up with old friends!


There are six people in this photo. The three you can see and the three that will arrive soon! (I mean that we are all pregnant.)


And now here is the reason I started writing this post in the first place: muffins.



Delicious blueberry muffins with cinnamon crumb topping! Bryan's favorite so far, I might add.

I've been wanting Parker to help me cook for a while now, but have never attempted it…well I braved the mess on our rainy Friday afternoon and we went to town mixing and baking. P was all over it with the exception of his attempts to put the dry mixture of flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder back into my flour canister. ;) I can't blame him. It gets confusing.





I got the recipe right here, but I doubled it, and changed the topping a bit.

You need:

-3 cups APF
-1 1/2 cups white sugar
-1 teaspoon salt
-4 teaspoons baking powder
-2/3 cup vegetable oil
-2 eggs
-2/3 cup milk (about)
-2 cups blueberries (or more…)

For the crumb topping:

-1/2 cup white sugar
-1/3 cup APF
-1/4 cup butter, diced
-1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease muffin cups or line with muffin liners.

2. Combine flour, sugar, salt and baking powder. Place vegetable oil into a 2 cup measuring cup; add the eggs and enough milk to fill the 2 cups. Mix this with flour mixture. Fold in blueberries. **Make sure not to over mix! there may still be flour streaks in mixture and that is good.** Fill muffin cups right to the top, and sprinkle with crumb topping mixture.

3. To Make Crumb Topping: Mix together 1/2 cup sugar, 1/3 cup flour, 1/4 cup butter, and 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon. Mix with fork, and sprinkle over muffins before baking.

4. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes.




This made 18 muffins for us, and they were awesome--moist (ew), and fluffy! Parker quickly deemed them worthy with a "More please!" after his first bite. Enjoy!


------------------------

P.S. I just noticed that I had this photo in my "cloud" (I still don't get that), and wanted to get some opinions once and for all on this chalk paint.


(Don't mind the frames…those have already moved to a different area and still need to be filled and matted.)

I was going for a wood grain look? My mom and MIL are sold on it….I can't decide? Thoughts? This is in our living room behind the couch.

Adios!




2 comments:

  1. I love it, keep it as is for sure! Where did you get that lovely piece?

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE it! Its beautiful, dont change a thing! Thanks so much for sharing the muffin recipe-yum! Cant wait for the nursery reveal!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thank you!

I try to respond to all questions directly in the comment section, so be sure to check back if you ask anything.